Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 4 posts ]   
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

One of the principles of the Budwig cancer protocol is her cottage cheese/flax oil supplement. I loved cottage cheese until I developed an aversion to it, and found it combined with flax oil to personally be very enticing to my taste buds--until I didn't. Unfortunately, I have come to what is the greater truth that combining PUFAs (flax oil) with a sulfhydryl amino acid (cottage cheese) is not necessary. Budwig had only a rudimentary knowledge of lipid digestion back in the early part of her career (1950s) as did all of science. She assumed that if one combined her oil with the protein in quark before eating that it remained intact and would be more easily assimilated into the intestinal membrane. Not true in that particular sense!

The base argument to this subject of bioavailability of whether to mix with a sulfhydryl amino acid protein is that the PUFAs are already highly digestible for humans! Let’s just stand back and apply some logic. Both the omega-6, linoleic acid, and the omega-3, linolenic acid are essential fatty acids, necessary for life. We are unable to synthesize these two polyunsaturates for ourselves. We must consume both in our food. So it stands to reason through evolution that our bodies will be very prone to being efficient in absorbing something we cannot make! Why Dr. Budwig thought it would be necessary to make them more so by mixing them with quark is a bit hard to understand and probably was simply a sign of the times of a lack of knowledge of the gastrointestinal tract digestibility of these oils. The digestibility coefficient of these high linoleic and linolenic fatty acid vegetable oils is in the range of 97-98% already! On the other hand, the undesirable partially hydrogenated vegetable oils with their adulterated omegas plus some saturated fats have a bit less digestibility, but unfortunately, even then they are far too digestible for us to avoid all of the havoc they can create in our bodies. The omega-6, linoleic acid, and omega-3, linolenic acid components found in cold-pressed, unrefined oils are said to be totally absorbed, unlike the higher chained derivatives such as EPA and DHA as found in fish oils. The first inkling that something may be amiss in Dr, Budwig’s thinking came when I read Brian Peskin’s work, PEO Solution, where he wrote: Consumption of the oils with a protein such as cottage cheese is not required. The PEOs [linoleic & linolenic acid] can be taken on an empty stomach.

A bit later I run across an online journal study from 2011 that wrote this:

Quote:
It was Budwig’s theory that when the highly unsaturated fatty acids of flaxseed oil interact with receptors responsible for the cellular uptake of fatty acids as well as for the uptake of oxidized LDL (ox-LDL) by macrophages. from cottage cheese, the stored energy in the fatty acids would be released remedying the oxygen poor environment. The sulphydryl groups, cysteine and methionine, in cottage cheese, were described by Budwig as substances that facilitated the mobilization of fat by increasing solubility. Through her experiments using paper chromatography Budwig found that blending sulphydryl containing cottage cheese with flaxseed oil would improve the solubility of the flaxseed oil, a reaction that did not occur with the saturated fats derived from pork fat. She reasoned that the sulphydryl groups in the amino acids, hydrogen bonded with the unsaturated fatty acids, forming a lipoprotein. Lipoproteins are the building blocks of the phospholipid bilayer, or as Budwig called them “the external skin of the cell. The proper function of cellular membranes is vital as it mediates the flow of materials in and out of the cell. Budwig felt the combination of these two substances (i.e., cottage cheese and flaxseed oil) was important because the. bond created by the opposing charges generated the “electromotor force” of a lipoprotein, which she claimed provided the only path for fast and focused transport of electrons in biological systems. It was not until 1978 that Peter Mitchell received a Nobel Prize for his work on energy production in mitochondria. There was limited understanding of fat metabolism in 1950 to inform Budwig’s theory. While high-density lipoproteins (HDL) and low density lipoproteins (LDL) had been identified, it wasn’t until the 1970’s that apopeptides were discovered and their role and the role of lipoproteins in general, was more clearly understood. The discovery of the LDL receptor in 1974 (Brown and Goldstein) provided the missing link in the understanding of fatty acid transport and the potential role various fats could play in human health. In the absence of this knowledge, Budwig erroneously concluded that sulfur containing amino acids methionine and cysteine were required for the solubility and transport of fatty acids. Sulfur atoms play a role in the formation of esters produced during fatty acid digestion and taurine from cysteine, is a component of bile salts, but these were not the mechanisms upon which Budwig’s theory focused.”

Note that the omega-6, Linoleic acid predominates in the make-up of the previously mentioned cholesterol esters (LDL) in this study’s excerpt. This is all rather disturbing for a Budwig follower to say the least! I begin to question Dr. Budwig’s science and came up with the proposition of what really may be happening but, first, I tried incessantly to come up with a molecular formula that would document the reaction of linoleic & linolenic acids combining with the sulphydryl groups through a hydrogen bond of cysteine and methionine to form a lipoprotein that could diffuse through the intestinal membrane as Dr. Budwig expounded. I could not for the life of me find such a reaction easily occurring, nor a recognized transport mechanism within the intestinal membrane that would allow such a lipoprotein to be diffused so simply through its membrane! Dr. Budwig also suggested in her works that a lipoprotein was being formed in her oil protein formula because if one used a saturated fat like pork fat, it would not mix, unlike her PUFA oils with quark or cottage cheese. In reality, this really does not prove such a lipoprotein is being formed. Saturated fats are characterized by a low polarity which alters its ability to form micelles, unlike unsaturated fatty acids which will easily form micelles in an emulsion.

So what was happening when the flax oil would magically disappear into the white abyss of cottage cheese or quark upon mixing if a lipoprotein is not being formed? I came up with the conclusion that one thing for sure was happening; a simple emulsion was being created when Dr. Budwig mixed the two! Every chef or ambitious housewife has made such an emulsion in their kitchen when they prepare mayonnaise with brisk stirring. As with mayonnaise, the flaxseed oil’s micro-droplet was agitated to the center surrounded by the cottage cheese’s phospholipids, sterols, etc. to form an emulsion. Hydrogen bridges may occur in science between the two, but it is unlikely that covalent bonds between the lipid and the protein moiety exist during such a simple mixing exercise
as prescribed by Dr. Budwig.

To summarize, Dr. Budwig’s simple passive diffusion mechanism of cottage cheese/quark + the PUFAs of the seed oil believed to be true in the 1950s of her oil/protein lipoprotein complex would simply not work in the gut physiology that we now know exists. Fatty acid digestion basically involves the gut, churning, breaking down, and cleaving free fatty acids from the food complexes which we consume. The gut’s goal is to break these lipid food complexes down into micro-particles so that the small intestinal gut lining can absorb them through their membrane with the short-chained fatty acids easily diffusing through, but the long-chained Fatty acids such as LA and ALA need a protein mediated transport system. Dr. Budwig’s more bio-available lipoprotein (oil/protein) could not enter even if it somehow escaped the digestive juices found in the stomach and small intestines, intact. It is simply too large! The purported lipoproteins that are said to form with the mixing of flax oil and cottage cheese are not somehow super-lipoproteins, impervious to the actions of the secreted pancreatic lipases and the liver’s bile salts found in the gut designed to tear the food apart! Her linoleic and linolenic seed oils combined with cottage cheese proteins will be cleaved apart just like any other consumed lipoprotein found in the foods we eat. The takeaway from this is that one can easily disregard the need to mix your cold-pressed, unrefined seed oil with quark or cottage cheese if you so desire. It should be just as bioavailable as consumed straight. There is no need to sweat about fat or protein content in cottage cheese or even if one must use cottage cheese at all. Just put the oil straight on whatever food that one likes. Just make sure it is fresh, not going rancid, and has minimal contact with the oxygen in the air, in short use it within 15 minutes after removing it from the freezer.

For the full story, check out my new book, The Budwig Protocol, A 21st Century Perspective"
http://www.racehorseherbal.com/Budwig%20Book.html

and a cheaper condensed version at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM8 ... UTF8&psc=1

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OfflineProfileReply with quote

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

How the cottage cheese is used as an emulsion reaction:

Attachment:
budwig 1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

How linoleic and linolenic fatty acids are absorbed in the gut membrane:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

This one email I receive about this information:

Quote:
Douglas I do appreciate an understanding of the science behind how it all works, and you've certainly fit the bill. You get an A++. I actually like the cottage cheese, but the mixing procedure was a big consumption of time. I actually have been taking flax oil along with Artemisinin as a cancer fighter. That procedure calls for taking this along with Bioperine and sodium butyrate, on an empty stomach. The hours of fasting and having to time two doses of this in the morning is tough, I'd appreciate your thoughts on this as to if the fasting is necessary. Also I've made Fenbendazole suppositories for bed time.

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 4 posts ]