Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]   
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Article VII. -The Therapeutic Actions and Uses of Turpentine. By J. Wahbuiiton Begbie, M.D.; Fellow of the Koyal "College of Physicians, Edinburgh. {Read before the Medico-Chirargical Society of Edinburgh, 1th June1871):

Quote:
Thus, in treating of the means we possess for the arrestment of pulmonary haemorrhage, Dr Wood of Philadelphia remarks: "Another haemostatic medicine, which sometimes acts very promptly and efficiently in haemoptysis, is oil of turpentine. How it operates is not well understood, though probably by some influence on the capillaries, perhaps through the sympathetic nerve-centres. It is applicable to cases without in- flammatory action or febrile excitement; and if plethora exist, it should be subdued before recourse is had to the oil. -Mere frequency of pulse does not contraindicate it. I have found no remedy more effi- cacious than this under circumstances favourable to its use. In one apparently desperate case I succeeded after failure with all other means. Ten drops of it may be given every hour or two. If the haemorrhage is very copious, the dose may be much larger."1 In haematemesis, as well as in haemoptysis, turpentine was much used by the distinguished John Hunter: in regard to the former, he states that he has seldom found it fail when given in doses of ten drops every two or three hours. In uterine haemorrhage, the value of the remedy has been tested by many observers. Dr Cop- land remarks : " I have had recourse in extreme or prolonged cases to the spirits of turpentine, either in a draught or in an enema, or in the form of epithem or fomentation, applied over the hypogas- trium, and always with success. This practice was first adopted by me in 1819, in metro-haemorrhagia occurring after delivery, and has been pursued by me in other haemorrhages, whenever it was con- sidered advisable speedily to arrest them. In 1820, I publicly re- commended the treatment; and I know that it has succeeded with those who were thus led to employ it." 2 In the intestinal haemor- rhage of fever, in hemorrhoidal flux, in epistaxis, and the profuse bleeding which occasionally succeeds the extraction of teeth, in the haemorrhage from leech-bites and from wounds, internally adminis- tered and externally applied, turpentine has often proved eminently useful.

OfflineProfileReply with quote

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]