Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 3 posts ]   
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Intravenous Vitamin C is a very important protocol that many of you will eventually come to appreciate However, the problem is that Vit C iv is expensive and not that easily found in prepared injectable form. Not only that, but most of the commercially available solutions comes in 250 mg/cc strength rather than the more desired 500mg/cc. If you take care and gather the proper lab equipment, you can prepare your own using below's recipe to produce a 500mg/cc solution. Here is a recipe from Dr. ROBERT F. CATHCART III, M.D. that explains how to make your own. It comes from the webpage:

http://www.doctoryourself.com/vitciv.html

Quote:
The Stock Bottle of Sodium Ascorbate

Sterilize a 500 cc IV bottle along with a funnel, the rubber stopper, and a spoon. Then fill the bottle to the 300 cc line with sodium ascorbate fine crystals. (I weighed the sodium ascorbate out one time and 250 gm came up to the 300 cc line.) Then add 1/3 of the 20 ml bottle (6.6 cc) of edetate disodium injection, USP 150 mg/ml. or a total of 990mg of EDTA. EDTA in the preparation is designed to chelate trace amounts of copper and iron which might destroy the ascorbate. Then add water for injection q.s. 500 cc. Shake up the bottle and if there is 1 mm of crystals left on the bottom, add 1 mm of water to the top. It turns out that sodium ascorbate is soluble to almost exactly a 50% concentration at room temperature. I do not worry about the sterility of this because this is very bacteriocidal. Perhaps it should be filtered to get out particulate matter but I have never seen this to be a problem. The pH of this has always turned out to be 7.4. My nurse discovered recently that if you do not shake the mixture to make it go into solution until after you refrigerate it and are ready to use it that the solution is less yellow. I presume that this is good because sodium ascorbate is clear and dehydroascorbate is yellow. The made up solutions are always a little yellow but refrigeration before mixing results in a far less yellow mixture.

Preparation of the IV Bottle

I recommend that the above stock bottle solution be added to lactated Ringer's such that 30 Gms (60 cc) to 60 Gms (120 cc) this be added to a quantity of lactated Ringer's sufficient to make 500 cc of the final solution to be injected IV. I had been using water for injection some time ago because this solution is several times hypertonic already and I did not want to add more tonicity. However, recently I have found that lactated Ringer's feels better to patients so I use that for the final dilution (not the stock solution described above.)

IM Injections

IM injection material for infants is made from the stock solution diluted 50% in water giving a 25% solution. Generally, the size of the injection can be 2 cc in each buttocks. Ice may be applied if it hurts to much. This may be given every hour or so, frequently enough to bring the fever or other symptoms of excessive free radicals down rapidly.

General Comments

I have not had any trouble with these solutions. I hear all sorts of weird stories from patients who have gotten ascorbate elsewhere. I do not know if it is an acid problem (because ascorbic acid was used rather than sodium ascorbate) or whether some colleges get carried away with what other things they add to the intravenous solutions.

I think that there may be, at times minor troubles with commercially prepared solutions because of the following. I understand that the U. S. Pharmacopeia specifies that the solutions be made from ascorbic acid and then buffered with sodium hydroxide or sodium bicarbonate to a pH between 3.5 and 7.0. I worry that 60 grams of ascorbate at a pH of 3.5 is too acid. I know that Klenner (the first physician who used high dose intravenous ascorbate by vein) also made his solutions from sodium ascorbate powder.

I watch patients for hypocalcemia (although I have not seen it), hypoglycemia (I encourage patients to eat while taking the IV), and dehydration (I encourage water and slow the IV down.) I also see headaches afterward but not so much since I have been emphasizing the continuing high doses of oral ascorbic acid as soon as the IV is over. Actually I give oral ascorbic acid while the IV is going to get a double effect. Bowel tolerance goes up while the IV is running but one has to be careful to stop giving oral C about an hour before the IV stops or else you may get diarrhea as soon as the IV stops. The oral ascorbic acid is then started again 1/2 to 1 hour after the IVC stops.

-------------------------------------

Note that this same basic formula can be followed to make your own IV solutions of sodium bicarbonate, alpha lipoic acid, etc. I would also advise one to alway s filter the finished solution through a syringe type of micro-filter of at least .22 microns to remove particulates and chance bacteria.

Check out my webpage on making it at:

http://racehorseherbal.net/vit_c.html

OfflineProfileReply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Here is an excellent .pdf file on Vit C intravenous protocols:

http://www.doctoryourself.com/RiordanIVC.pdf

Some Highlights from this website:

Quote:
Precautions and side effects:

1. In our 25 years of clinical experience giving over 40,000 onsite IVC treatments, the side-effects
of high-dose IVC are rare. However, there are precautions and potential side-effects to consider.

2. The danger of diabetics on insulin incorrectly interpreting their glucometer finger stick has already
been mentioned. Diabetics wishing to know their blood sugar must have blood drawn from a vein
and run in the laboratory using the hexokinase glucose determination method.

3. Tumor necrosis or tumorlysis syndrome has been reported in one patient after high-dose IVC. For
this reason, the protocol always begins with a small 15 gram dose (see Administration below).

4. Acute oxalate nephropathy (kidney stones) was reported in one patient with renal insufficiency
who received a 60 gram IVC. Adequate renal function, hydration, and urine voiding capacity must
be documented prior to starting high-dose IVC therapy. In our experience, however, the incidence
of calcium oxalate stones during or following IVC is negligible.

5. Hemolysis has been reported in patients with G6PD deficiency when given high-dose IVC. The
G6PD level should be assessed before beginning IVC. (At our Center, G6PD readings have yieldedadverse effects.)

6. IV site irritation may occur at the infusion site when given in a vein and not a port. This can be
caused by an infusion rate exceeding 1.0 gram/minute. The protocol suggests adding magnesium to
reduce the incidence of vein irritation and spasm.

7. Due to the chelating effect of IVC, some patients may complain of shakiness due to low calcium
or magnesium. An additional 1.0 mL of MgCl added to the IVC solution will usually resolve this.
If severe, it can be treated with an IV push of 10 mL’s of calcium gluconate, 1.0 mL per minute.
Eating before the IVC infusion is recommended to help reduce blood sugar fluctuations.

8. Given the amount of fluid used as a vehicle for the IVC, any condition that could be adversely
affected by fluid or sodium overload (the IV ascorbate is buffered with sodium hydroxide and
bicarbonate) is a relative contraindication; i.e. congestive heart failure, ascites, edema, etc.

9. There have been some reports of iron overload with vitamin C therapy. We have treated one
patient with hemochromatosis with high-dose IVC with no adverse effects or significant changes in
the iron status.

10. As with any I.V. infusion, infiltration at the site is possible. This is usually not a problem with
ports. Our nursing staff has found that using #23 Butterfly needles with a shallow insertion is very
reliable with rare infiltrations (depending upon the status of the patient’s veins!)

11. IVC should only be given by slow intravenous drip at a rate of 0.5 grams per minute. (Rates up to
1.0 gram/minute are generally tolerable, but close observation is warranted. Patients can develop
nausea, shakes, and chills.) It should never be given as an IV push, as the osmolality at high doses
may cause sclerosing of peripheral veins, nor should it be given intramuscularly or subcutaneously.

12. Table 1 lists the calculated osmolality of various amounts of fluid volume. Our experience has
found that an osmolality of less than 1200 mOsm/kg H2O is tolerated by most patients. A low
infusion rate (0.5 grams IVC per minute) also reduces the tonicity, although up to 1.0 grams per
minute can be used in order to achieve higher post IVC saturation levels. (Pre and post serum
osmolality measurements are advisable at this dose.)

13. We presently use a sodium ascorbate solution, MEGA-C-PLUS®, 500 mg/mL, pH range 5.5-7.0
from Merit Pharmaceuticals, Los Angeles, CA, 90065.

Administration of IVC:

1. Having taken all precautions listed above and having obtained informed consent from the patient,
the administering physician begins with a series of three consecutive IVC infusions at the 15, 25,
and 50 gram dosages followed by post IVC plasma vitamin C levels in order to determine the
oxidative burden for that patient so that subsequent IVCs can be optimally dosed.

2. The Riordan IVC Protocol dosing schedule depicted above has served as a “safe start” for cancer
patients new to IVC. For the past 25 years The Center for the Improvement of Human Functioning
International in Wichita, Kansas, has administered over 40,000 onsite IVC infusions according to
this protocol. Zero fatalities and rare side effects attest to its remarkable safety.

3. The initial three infusions are monitored with post IVC infusion plasma vitamin C levels. As noted in the Treatment Rationale section above, research and experience has shown that a therapeutic goal of 350-400 mg/dL is most efficacious. (No increased toxicity for post IVC plasma vitamin C levels up to 780 mg/dL has been observed, but no additional clinical benefit has been gained.)

4. The first post IVC plasma level following the 15 gram IVC has been shown to be clinically instructive: levels below 100 mg/dL correlate with higher levels of existent oxidative stress, presumably from higher tumor burden, chemo/radiation damage, hidden infection, or other oxidative insult, such as smoking.

5. Following the first three IVCs, the patient can be scheduled to continue either a 25 or 50 gram IVC dose (doctor’s discretion) twice a week until the post IVC plasma level results are available from the lab.

6. If the initial 50 gram post IVC level did not reach the therapeutic range of 350-400 mg/dL, another post IVC vitamin C level should be obtained after the next scheduled 50 gram IVC. If the therapeutic range is achieved, the patient is continued on a 50 gram twice a week IVC schedule with monthly post IVC determinations to assure continued efficacy.

7. If the therapeutic range is still not achieved, the IVC dosage is increased to 75 grams of vitamin C per infusion for four infusions, at which time a subsequent post IVC plasma level is obtained.

8. If the patient remains in a sub-therapeutic range, the IVC dosage is increased to the 100 gram level

9. If after four infusions the post IVC dosage remains sub-therapeutic, the patient may have an occult infection, may be secretly smoking, or may have tumor progression. While these possibilities are being addressed, the clinician can elect to increase the 100 gram IVC frequency to three times per week.

10. Higher infusion doses beyond 100 grams are not recommended without serum osmolality testing before and after infusions in order to properly adjust the infusion rate to maintain a near physiologic osmolality range.

11. If higher dosages are not tolerated, or there is tumor progression in spite of achieving the therapeutic range, lower dosages can still augment the biological benefits of IVC, including enhanced immune response, reduction in pain, increased appetite, and a greater sense of well-being.

12. Very small patients, such as children, and very large obese patients need special dosing. Small patients < 110 lbs. with small tumor burdens and without infection may only require 25 gram vitamin C infusions 2x/week to maintain therapeutic range. Large patients > 220 lbs. or patients with large tumor burdens or infection are more likely to require 100 grams IVC infusions 3x/week. Post IVC plasma levels serve as an excellent clinical guide to this special dosing.13. In our experience, the majority of cancer patients require 50 gram IVC infusions 2-3x/week to maintain therapeutic IVC plasma levels. All patients reaching therapeutic range should still be monitored monthly with post IVC plasma levels to ensure that these levels are maintained long term.

14. We advise patients to orally supplement with at least 4 grams of vitamin C daily, especially on the days when no infusions are given, to help prevent a possible vitamin C “rebound effect.” Oral alpha lipoic acid is also recommended on a case by case basis.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

The steam under pressure raises the temperature in the sterilization chamber to kill all pathogens. The killing process is a function of Time and Pressure.

Autoclaves reach a temperature of 270 degrees Fahrenheit or 132 degrees Celsius at a pressure of 30 pounds and requires 15 minutes for the process to be effective. Pressure Cookers reach a temperature of 250 degrees F or 121 degrees C at a pressure of 15 pounds and requires 30 minutes for the process to be effective.

Unlike the autoclave, a pressure cooker does not have a drying cycle! If you wish to package your instruments for later use after sterilization, they must be dry before you can safely handle them without contaminating them. This is a complicated process and will not be discussed here. Put your instruments in the pressure cooker, sterilize them, let them cool and use them right out of the pressure cooker.

You should rig a way to keep the instruments up out of the water in the bottom of the pressure cooker. One way is to take three tuna fish or cat food cans, punch holes in the bottom of each can so that they will not float, and place them in the bottom of the Pressure Cooker. Next place the cooking rack that comes with the pressure cooker over the cat food cans. Lay a paper towel over the rack. Lay your instruments on top of this. Follow the directions of the manufacturer for adding the correct amount of water and sealing the pressure cooker.

For proper sterilization, boil 30 minutes from the time the little weight on top of the pressure cooker bounces to let off steam or by carefully monitoring the pressure gauge--depending on mechanism. At the end of that time, turn off the heat and let cool. The inside of the pressure cooker remains sterile until it is opened. Open the cooker and use your instruments.

Use a pair of sterile forceps to lift you instruments out for use.

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 3 posts ]