Password:
Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]   
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:59 am 
Site Admin

A post I have received:

Quote:
Any insight into herbs for seizure disorders, or herbs that function as nervine relaxants? My gelding has been having spasms/seizures(primarily in his right shoulder and contorting his right foreleg, but occasionally in both forelegs) for the last two years, following a severe training accident.

His EMG confirmed two muscle groups in near-constant spasm, and a subsequent muscle biopsy revealed sarcosysts (S. fayerli, most likely) in his tissue, so he has started on a 28-day regimen of ponazuril since this sarcosyst is susceptible to the same meds as the EPM protozoa, S. neurona. However, his EEG revealed "a focal area of neuronal irritability," which is the part of the brain that regulates emotions and triggers seizures. His water intake also increases dramatically (from 10 gal./day to 30+ gal./day) just before a "bad cycle" when spasms/seizures are very easily triggered, but so far no one can link the two.

Any suggestions for herbs to help stabilize him and repair possible nerve damage?

My reply:

First, let me say that nerve tissue is very slow healing, the longest of all body tissues. I experienced this with a filly, I owned back when I was in college. We had a bad ice storm one night and the next morning the filly was paralyzed in her rear legs. Hind legs were useless, though she could move her front legs with little problem. I looked her over carefully, performed some neurological reflex tests on her and felt that it was worth a try to see if she would come out of it. We had to manually roll her over 3 to 4 times every day to prevent skin sores, bed her in deep straw and hand watered and fed her. But every week, I could see some improvement in her functions and reflex tests. She could assume the dog sitting position after several weeks and continued to improve. It took about 6 months of healing before she was able to stand and walk again. This corresponds with about the estimated time of nerve regeneration repair. So the moral to this story is being patient, look for improvement, nurse religiously. Think in 5-6 month increments. This protocol, I am about to tell you has been proven countless times by Dr. Richard Schulze, in people who have sustained brain trauma. He has experienced excellent results with humans using these formulas. With horses, it will be a bit difficult to perform the juice fasts which were a part of the program, but the other procedures should be within your capability. There are two different nerve formulas. One is called a B & B tincture and the other a nerve regeneration/stimulant tincture. There is also a third tincture formula called B, F and C formula which should be used, too. Heavy doses of cayenne and ginger should be given in conjunction.

1) Brain repair can best be accomplished with thin blood. Use garlic and red clover for this.

2) B & B formula:

black cohosh.........1 part
blue cohosh..........1 part
blue vervain.........1 part
skullcap............ 1 part
lobelia..............1 part
skunk cabbage........1 part

3) Nerve regeneration formula:

skullcap herb..........4 parts
oat seed...............4 parts
st. john’s flower......2 parts
celery seed............1 part
lavender...............1 part
coffee bean............1 part
kola nut...............1 part

You can use these herbs as a infused tea and orally dose your horse. You can make DMSO or alcoholic tinctures out of them, too. Note that the first formula (B&B) is an anti-spasmodic type of formula and the neural regeneration formula is a nerve stimulator formula. Generally animals with neural transmission diseases should use nerve stimulators. Humans can take up to an ounce of the nerve regeneration formula per day–in horse terms that could mean up to 10 ounces. That’s a lot of tincture! The down side to the nerve stimulators is the animal gets a bit stimulated. So if the animal gets over stimulated with this formula, stop taking it and go to the anti-spasmodic formula, the B&B. The sedative herbs just take the edge off and allow the system to expand, but the stimulating herbs tighten it back up again. You need that to heal.

4) Doses of cayenne pepper and ginger----to stimulate cerebral circulation. Cayenne immediately reduces the blood pressure and simulates the circulation. Give at least a tablespoon three times a day at least for the first week. Then you can stay on a teaspoon three or four times a day. Cayenne pepper is the first herb you want to think of when you want to stimulate the general circulation and heart. Ginger is next, when you want to stimulate the peripheral circulation. Ginger tends to stimulate the smaller blood vessels and capillaries–more so than cayenne. Use as hot of cayenne you can find, i.e. habaneras, etc.

5) B,F,C formula:
comfrey root.........6 parts
Oak bark.............6 parts
gravel root..........3 parts
Mullein...............3 parts
Lobelia..............1 part
Wormwood.............2 parts
Marshmallow root.....3 parts
skullcap.............1 part

Comfrey root-----is one of the most important ingredients of this formula. It is important in bone regeneration and has the ancient name of “bone knit”. It contains high levels of calcium and allantoin (a cell proliferate).

Oak bark--------another source of calcium and acts as an astringent which reduces swellings

Gravel root-------dissolves unwanted and unneeded minerals in the body and bone area which may be preventing proper healing. This herb seems to know when to dissolve unwanted calcium on various structures of the body.

Mullein-------this affects and stimulates the glandular system. It is excellent for the thyroid gland.

Wormwood-----relieves pain in the body. It also kills parasites/worms in the body.

Marshmalow root-------excellent for infections, rebuilding muscles, cartilage, tendons.

Skullcap-------this is specially for regenerating nervous system damage.

Lobelia------makes the entire formula more effective by acting as a catalyst to unite the other herbs in the formula. It can act as an anti-spasmodic for the muscles. This formula can be infused into tea form and given the horse by oral dose syringe. As much as 2 quarts a day can be given. It can also be applied externally to various parts, i.e. skull, shoulder, etc.

Preparing tea---Use a large stainless steel pot (never use aluminum). Put one gallon of distilled water into the pot. Mix the above formula into a dry loose form. Once mixed, separate and weigh out 8 oz of the mixed herbs into the 1 gallon of water. Let this mixture set in the water overnight. Heat the tea to just UNDER a boil. Let it simmer for 20 minutes without boiling. Strain. Remove the old herbs from the pot and add the strained tea back in. Now, let the tea simmer down to ½ of its original volume. Once completed bottle and use.

You can also make an alcoholic or DMSO tincture from these herbs and apply it to the skull, shoulder or any other location which seems locally advantageous.

Again, fresh herbs picked on your farm are usually the best choice, but you can use various bulk herb supply houses, such as www.pacificbotanicals.com.

Using lobelia inflata as a DMSO tincture and painting it on the two muscle groups which you say are prone to spasm would probably be beneficial in soothing such spasm. If you would like more detailed recipes on making these tinctures or infused teas, feel free to email me.

OfflineProfileReply with quote

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]