It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]   
 Post subject: Equine Scarlet Fever
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Barb Y. writes:

Quote:
Hi everyone.

I have a yearling wb/arab gelding with the equine version of Scarlet Fever and am looking for some herbal answers. He was diagnosed with an incredibly high white count a few months ago, put on IV antibiotics for a few days, then Naxcell, which didn't do much, then SMZ's, which worked great. He has developed a heart flutter that has a technical term (don't remember), and I'm told he will most likely have a serious, permanent heart murmur. SMZ's for a month (plus Vita-Flex's Synequin with echinacea and bovine colostrum, and he was gaining his weight back and feeling pretty good (very laid back guy anyway :-). Off the SMZ's and a month later, depressed, no appetite, weight loss, elevated white count. Back on SMZ's and Vita-Flex bovine colustrum and Vita Key antioxidants.. Echinacea should only be fed to horses for 30 days at a time. He's also on Buckeye Grow'n Win, Buckeye Senior (for weight gain and probiotics), Buckeye Ultimate Finish (fat supplement), some alfalfa and plenty of grass hay. His last decline was in pasture, and through all this he has continued to grow.

After another 2 weeks on SMZ's, we've taken him off, he's feeling better, but I don't have the latest blood test results yet. My question: is there anything to boost his immune system, other than the bovine colostrum and antioxidants, that can be fed long term? Has anyone had experience with this? I'm looking for a means to keep his red and white blood cell count normal and build him back up, so this won't keep recurring. He can't live on antibiotics forever.

My reply:

So is this "equine version of scarlet fever"-----a streptococci throat infection in your yearling? How did your vet arrive at this diagnosis and, if via culture, was he cultured again after the re-occurrence? Results?

Let me advise you that much of the Echinacea out there sold over the counter and in many mass marketed preparations is probably worthless. A potent Echinacea should give to your mouth a tingling, numbing sensation, like the fresh root would if chewed. If you do not get this affect, then chances are your Echinacea is not potent. I would only buy Echinacea root from a reputable herb dealer, the fresher the better, like http://www.pacificbotanicals.com . If you happen to live where it grows wild, I would dig some up and prepare my own medication.

There are other modalities that you may want to consider. Massive doses of Vit C iv have shown to be a potent anti-microbial in its own right. You can also use colloidal silver and sodium chlorite.

Her reply:

Quote:
Yes on the strep (not strangles though) and not in the throat. First onset high fever, very high white count. She gave a complex name that ended in “heart”, and I'm sorry I'm not much good at technical terminology. The symptoms returned a couple of weeks after the antibiotics were stopped, and he was placed back on antibiotics. He just finished the current (second)
course of antibiotics.

My reply:

There are numerous species of streptococci bacteria and it is probably safe to say that there are many currently in resident in every equine on earth. Many species of streptococci are necessary for digestion, etc, but others are so aggressive that they can cause major illness in horses. Antibiotics are often the common tool of allopathic vets and certainly in your case, that was the route followed. There are several studies out there that tends to suggest that antibiotics do not significantly reduce post streptococcal sequelae. Some believe the disease does not seem to progress much differently with or without antibiotics. Many strep infections seem to be self-limiting. Of course, there can be complications and heart damage is one. Barb seems to suggest that her gelding's "heart flutter" may be one such complication. In case of a serious complication like this, perhaps another course of modern antibiotics may be warranted. Not being a fan of overused antibiotics, I would have to think long and hard. Many holistic practitioners seem to think that modern antibiotics are not always the answer. It is generally felt that strep infections are often allowed to become pathogenic because of that individual's metabolic status. Strengthening the immune system should be the major impetus of treatment, plus an accompanying course of
anti-microbial herbs. Besides giving the immune stimulants, one should also give the infected horse a stress free existence which probably should include fresh air, good pasture and enjoyable company.

Perhaps a suggested botanical protocol (10 days) could include some of the below:

Hydrastis canadensis (goldenseal)------------antihemorrhagic, choleretic, anti-microbial.

Berberis vulgaris (barberry)---bactericidal, antipyuretic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic.

Thymus vulgaris (thyme)-----disinfectant, antispasmodic

Commiphora (myrrh)------astrigent, antimicrobial, analgesic.

Glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice root)----anti-inflammatory, demulcent.

Echinaccea (cone flower)----immune stimulant, possible anti-microbial actions.

Allium (garlic)------antimicrobial, immune stimulant

Baptisa (wild indigo)------antimicrobial, immune modulation and increased phagocytosis.

OfflineProfileReply with quote

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]