Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]   
 Post subject: canine mite dermatitis
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

My scottie was having a serious itching rear-end problem this late Fall. I ruled out fleas, anal sac problems, food allergies, etc. She seemed to have scales on her lower back, near the dorsal base of her tail. She would try to rub her lower back which would give the appearance that her anal sac glands were the problem. NOT. I finally came to the conclusion she may have mite dermatitis even though she was not losing hair. I made my own mite formula which some of you might be interested in. It was patterned after Happy Jack's Mange formula:

Quote:
Contains 28% Sulfur in a Linseed Oil, Turpentine, Cod Liver Oil, Lanolin base with Tar Acid Oil. Provides soothing relief for skin irritations, fungi, falling hair, itching eczema, hot spots, moist feet and ears, ear mites, pus pimples and severe mange

My DIY formula variation:

Sulfur.................................................................25 grams

Soy lecithin (or liquid lecithin)....................................10 grams

Borax................................................................ 5 grams

Turpentine (make sure only from pine trees)....................50 ml

Linseed oil (pure without additives)..............................50 ml

DMSO.................................................................10 ml

Sulfur is pretty insoluble in the above and the final formula will require shaking before applying to your dog. Also, linseed oil and turpentine will not mix which is another reason to shake well before application.

I mixed the components in a beaker and then placed on a magnetic stirrer with stir-bar for about an hour. Then I placed beaker in an ultrasonic bath for another 30 minutes. Bottle final formula.

I applied to dog over back with a squirt plastic bottle and rubbed into hair every other day or until symptoms dissipate.

The final solution will be approximately 110+ ml.

Attachment:
pepper.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OfflineProfileReply with quote

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]