I have been duly fascinated, if not obsessed with the Budwig Protocol for a number of years now. I suppose my first trial experience with it was well over 10 years ago. I love cottage cheese and found the thought of eating it medicinally with flax oil added, interesting and compelling. I tried it back then out of curiosity while having no physical problems, found it palatable, but soon quit any further self-supplementation of it until I was given a greyhound that developed osteosarcoma. I immediately thought of it as a possible cancer treatment for her. Her story is a long one and I won't go further into it here, but if interested, you can go to a webpage devoted to her treatment and my experiences with it and her. I will only say that I was literally floored how cottage cheese and flax oil seemed to bring her back to life after I thought I would be putting her down in hours! That made me a convert for sure! My dog taught me a lot during that time which I think allowed me to keep myself in better health. I owe her a lot! Lastly, the Budwig protocol came through again for me in a rather unexpected way. I had been plagued with a worsening eye condition for the last 5 or so years that would come and go, until it pretty much didn't. I was planning on going to a Ophthalmologist this summer until unexpectedly, my vision vastly improved while I was on Budwig, but I had added a second seed oil to my flax oil and cottage cheese formula of cold-pressed, unrefined sunflower oil! I was not remotely expecting that to happen and certainly reinforced by view that I was on the right track. What this all means is that the common knowledge out there on the Budwig Protocol is not quite as accurate as many of its followers may believe. There are really only three books out there that are said to be the English translations of Dr. Johanna Budwig. They are:
1) Flax Oil as a True Aid Against Arthritis, Heart Infarction, Cancer, and Other Diseases (German/French copyrights 1959,1966,1972 and the English edition 1992, 1994) by Dr. Johanna Budwig
2) Cancer: The Problem and the Solution (2005) by Dr. Johanna Budwig and translated by Sprachendienste Holtz-Stosch GmbH, Original: Krebs - das Problem und die Losung
3) The Oil Protein Diet Cookbook (German 1952, English edition 1994) by Dr. Johanna Budwig
For us English readers this is rather slim pickings considering that she wrote the many following in German which have yet to be translated:
1) Fette als wahre Hilfe (Fats as true help)
2) Krise und der Krebsforschung Menschenrecht (Crisis of Cancer Research and Human Rights)
3) Ol-Eiweiss-Kost (Oil-Protein Diet) 2000
4) Die Funktion der elementare Atmung i Ihrer Beziehung zu autoxydablen Nahrungsstoffen (A contribution to the debate on cancer)
5) Laserstrahlen gegen Krebs (Lasers beams to fight cancer) 1968
6) Fotoelemente des Lebens (Photo-Elements of Life ) 1979
7) Kosmische Kraft gegen Krebs (Cosmic forces against cancer) 1966
8) Das Fettsyndrom (Cancer: the fat syndrome) 1959
9) Die Fettfibel (Fat Bible)
10) Krebs - Das Problem und die Lösung (Cancer - the problem and the Solution) 1999
11) Der Tod des Tumors (The Death of the Tumor, vol. 1 & 2) 1977
12) Krebs ein Fett Problem (Cancer - A Fats Problem) 1967
13) Die elementare Funktion der Atmung in ihrer Beziehung zu autoxydablen Nahrungsstoffen (The Elementary Function of Respiration in Its Relationship to Autoxydable Foodstuffs) 1956
14) Fette als wahre Hilfe gegen Arteriosklerose, Herzinfarkt, Krebs u. a. Drei Vorträge (FlaxOil As A True Aid Against Arthritis, Heart Infarction, Cancer, And Other Diseases) 1972
15) Mensch-Sein: Atmung, Immunabwehr im Würgegriff (To Be Human. Respiration, Immune Defence In A Stranglehold) 1986-7
16) Kosmische Kräfte Krebs: Electronen-Biologie (Cosmic Forces Cancer: Electron Biology )
17) Fettfibel (Fats Primer) 1979
I have read and reread the three English translations that I mentioned above which leaves a lot to be desired in fully understanding the Budwig Protocol to my way of thinking. It finally occurred to me that I could translate her German texts on my own using the newest software translation services! I could go through, line by line the German texts which I have and perhaps come away with how Johanna Budwig really felt about a few conundrums that have plagued me ever since I started studying her work!
Conundrum #1: Antioxidants are labeled as respiratory poisons and anti-PUFA by Dr. Budwig. My view is this is impossible as they do not steal electrons as Dr. Budwig alledges, but are always electron donators.
Conundrum #2: Why did Dr. Budwig settle on Flax oil being the best balance of the Omega 6 linoleic Acid versus the Omega 3 Linolenic acid? This is the conundrum that has plagued me for years when reading her few English translations. She seems to have favored the omega-6 Linoleic acid (LA) fatty acid over Linolenic acid (ALA) in many of her written statements, yet she chose Flax oil as the preferred therapeutic oil to use with the proper balance of the Omega-3 vs 6, if her English translations are correct.
Conundrum #3: Every where, all her disciples claim that low fat cottage cheese or quark are the only proper protein that should be used with flax oil. I find this suspect as the low fat craze only came into the the American marketing lexicon in the 1980s. I find it really hard to believe that Dr. Budwig coming out of a post-war starving Germany was really too worried about eating too much of the natural fat found in quark back in those days. Yes, she knew many industrial fats were bad and was the basis for her new theory, but the natural fat found in quark or cottage cheese probably was not her concern. I suspect it was added by later proponents of her theory when people were better fed and fat of all kinds were being linked to cancer.
Der Tod des Tumors
My first translation review will be her German text, Der Tod des Tumors (The Death of the Tumor, vol. 1) as pictured in the top photo. It is a 118 page book. Volume 1 goes from The Recognition chapter on page 16, The Inventive Activity on page 24, The Oppression under abuse of authority on page 95, on to Literature Specification and The author's books ending on page 118. Volume 1 is a rather dry text that can easily be overlooked as not too important in healing people with the Budwig Protocol. However, it does lay out Dr. Budwig's attempt to patent her methods and formulas, and, thus, is some what enlightening of her thoughts. In her chapter on The Inventive Activity, she writes on page 42-43:
(The Death of the Tumor, vol. 1)
II Realization of inventions in the technical field:
The main focus of my 8 inventions, mentioned in the notice of recognition, concerns the mastery of the technique for preserving these fatty acids in such a way that these valuable electron systems are able to function properly." These eight inventions according to the Wertvoll certificate of Feb18, 1971 and July 2, 1971 which until the application for recognition of the Inventors' Ordinance of 1969 as patentable inventions include:
1. The electron systems consisting of highly unsaturated oils:
a) First sunflower oil, poppy seed oil, linseed oil, avocado oil, etc.
b) Various long-chain oils, representatives of fish oils and fish products are included.
2. The choice of substances for preservation of these electron systems based on the following partners:
a) Representatives from the protein area (also oats, buckwheat, onion). Also, Peru balsam among other things as plant secretions as representatives of the sulfhydryl groups
b) Representatives of the natural sugar or honey compounds (OH groups).
c) Certain acids were also included in the patent application.
3. Finely distributed natural lipoproteins (fat protein complexes) made durable by simply controlling the electrical potential are also included for the combination of highly unsaturated fats (see No. 1) with protein substances, sugar compounds or biological acids (see No. 2). The different procedures mentioned under 1 to 3 take place gradually. The processes proved to be useful for the manufacture and preservation of high quality food and external use oils.
Her further summarizing conclusion (p. 85-86):
Throughout the years, from 1953 until my application for recognition of the economic value of my inventions in 1969,
the 8 procedures set out in the letter of recognition dated Feb 18. 1971 and in the of the confirmation of July 2, 1971 recognized as economically valuable are the inventions contained in this notice of recognition includes the dipolar systems:
- On the one hand, highly unsaturated fats rich in electrons and fatty acids as electron donors and as sources of the negatively charged electrons made up of the quanta of solar energy associated with the magnetic fields of the photons of the sun. These include i.e: Linseed oil, sunflower oil, poppy seed oil, soya oil, maize oil, maize germ oil,
Wheat germ oil, rice oil, safflower oil, avogado oil and others; also added are Fish oils from cod liver oil, caviar, lobsters, Langoustines, prawns, salmon, etc. plus their fatty acids and their soaps. I call this group of my inventions: Elements F [(F1-15 (approx. numbers) + F16-45]. As elements, F 45 provide for representatives with excess negative Cargo.
- On the side of the positively charged electron acceptors, the Proton donors, I call proteins with sulfhydryl groups, i.e. glutathione, onion, buckwheat, oat flakes, garlic, paprika and many more types of pepper, black, red, white pepper, also green pepper Pepper, and secretions such as Peru balsam and bile, etc. I summarize rounded elements P as P1-10.
In the above mentioned patent applications there is also included as a positive antithesis for the purpose of protecting the electron systems by way of association with the hydroxyl groups etc., plus lactic acid, citric acid, various sugars with active OH groups. I call this group of my inventions Elements P (P11-15). As elements P about 15 representatives with positive charge provide for it, sufficient to protect the electron systems. For the realization of these inventions still much remains to be done in the scope of my work as an inventor in this field. This is valid even with the objection that for example, P1 and P10 are not grouped together. Please bear this in mind: These are natural products as well as carriers of the electron-systems that vary from linseed oil to sunflower oil to avogado oil as well as a carrier of the positively charged protein carriers (elements P) or hydroxyl carrier. Quantities and qualities change and requires a lot of development work before realization of the manifold inventions in this two-step procedure according to of my inventions.
One interesting passage in Volume 1, page 46 states: ". . . the application of the high intensity laser irradiation with monochromatic light when applied to the irradiated area of the seriously ill cancer patients, proves to lack the ability to absorb that laser light (see Goldman, USA); however, by controlled switching on by use of the Eldi oils, adjusted in the absorption spectrum by the correct selection and correct production of Eldi oils according to invention. The enormous perspectives that arise here are really justified. and proven." On page 64 describing her Eldi oils as made from flax oil and wheat germ oil.
My Analysis of her above Volume 1 text:
First and foremost, it is quite obvious that Flax oil is not the only oil valued by Dr. Budwig even though it may have been her oil of therapeutic choice in that era of early pioneering fat science! As seen in Volume 1, she includes in her patent application high linoleic seed oils such as sunflower oil, poppy seed oil, soy oil, corn oil, maize germ oil, wheat germ oil, rice oil, safflower oil, avocado oil as viable electron systems on the par with Flax oil! Previously on page 39 of that text, she writes: "The highly unsaturated fatty acid (cis-linoleic acid) is the decisive factor which according to Warburg in tumor patients, is so desirable with an expected effect of respiratory excitation. It turned out that this second pairing was in the autoxydable system of the cell together with the protein representative of the sulfhydryl group (e.g. glutathione) has a fundamental function in the bridging between fat and protein (lipo-proteins)." In fact, she cites the importance of Linoleic acid over and over again in all of her works and English translations, yet, she chose an oil, Flax oil which is not particularly high in Linoleic acid as her therapeutic oil of choice. Why? Flax (linseed) oil really is the only oil that has a some what balanced amount of both Omega-6 Linoleic acid and Omega-3 Linolenic acid in one oil type! All of the others, tip way toward the Omega-6 Linoleic acid levels by huge margins with very little of the Omega-3 Linolenic acid present!
So, if one was to place one's self in the 1950's lab coat of Dr. Budwig and only choose one oil, then Flax oil would seem the logical balanced seed oil that contains the most Linoleic plus Linolenic acid levels of all of the others! It is a natural choice for her in a time when the ratio of both the Omega-6 and Omega-3s were not well appreciated. She knew that both were synergistic for certain, but that was about it in the knowledge banks at that time. It was not known until rather recently that linoleic acid is the prime component of cardiolipin that is found in the inner membrane of the powerhouses of our cells, the mitochondria. Linoleic fatty acid is also the major PUFA found in all of our body tissues. Had she appreciated the importance of Linoleic acid over Linolenic acid, she would probably have added on a regular basis, a high linoleic acid seed oil to her beloved flax oil to increase the Omega-6 levels in her oil/protein + quark supplement.
Also, before I leave Volume 1, no where in its text did Dr. Budwig suggest that only a low fat lipoprotein quark complex should be used, nor were antioxidants discussed as respiratory poisons. I did find most interesting and contradictory in her patent application which does not mention quark or any diary products--but list these examples of sulfhydryl group foods which could be mixed with her oils: " . . . the Proton donors, I call proteins with sulfhydryl groups, i.e. glutathione, onion, buckwheat, oat flakes, garlic, paprika and many more types of pepper. . ." ! Leading that list is gluathione, a very powerful antioxidant, thiol compound that does contain a sulfhydryl group just like quark does! This makes me believe even further that Dr. Budwig does not have her antioxidant theory down properly!
Der Tod des Tumors
(The Death of the Tumor, vol. 2)